Monday, September 14, 2009

Skagit Flats Marathon

It was a lovely morning as we began our drive to Burlington. A little too lovely, it was promising to be a very warm day. I was a bit too nervous to drink much coffee that morning, yes, i was nervous. Instead of finding somewhere warm to drink more coffee, I got to meet all of mom's friends (obligatory shout-out to the Marathon Maniacs). One was about to run his 450th marathon, he would turn 80 soon (Celebrating, naturally, with another marathon).

Blah, blah, blah and we were off...In a race this small, the half and full marathoners start together. Knowing the risk for starting too fast, I wore my garmin and kept an eye on the pace. I was quickly left in the dust. "It is OK," I rationalized, "the first goal is to finish." For what it is worth, the second goal is to get a good race photo (spoiler alert: I achieved both goals).
While running the first few miles I notice a couple of things; First, no one else has the same color number as I do...I am in half marathoner territory. Second, I am yawning still while people around me are breathing hard. And third, this race course is FLAT!
I find interesting people to talk to while we run. It is fun to learn why other people are running, a lot had the goal of running a marathon before they turned 30, 40, or 50. It was really exciting to be share in the glory of their accomplishment. We hit the half marathon halfway point and I was left alone. The next few miles were on my own.
We were in farm country, only the occasional house among miles of farm land. Not much to look at...I am not sure what topics occupied my mind, but I know I stayed positive and excited. Then the first marathoner passed me, and my time was spent smiling and cheering people on. As I approached mile 11 I could make sight of a couple in front of me, going in my direction, soon to be roadkill. Kills #1 and 2 were gratifying, #3 was too easy. She had stopped to walk. She witnessed my mother and I passing (she was about three miles ahead of me, just what I was expecting) and cheering for each other. #3 was very inspired to see my mother kicking my butt, not inspired enough to catch me though. #4 was holding a good pace, so I sped up to catch her and ran with her and #5 for a while before I dropped them. The fun and games continued for another 7 miles, then mile 20 struck. I was slowing down, feeling very worn out and no longer able to ignore the aches and pains. I decided to walk for a quarter of a mile, give everything a rest. I noticed the vultures were circling above (I never before noticed their resemblance to sparrows...). I had to keep moving or they would come after me.
The course was too flat, not even the slightest hill. Every step was exactly like the one before, there was no hope to rest one muscle group and work on another for a time. I tried high stepping, skipping, you name it, but the damage had already been done. I was worn out.
It was then I noticed the chalk writing on the road "Go Daddy Go!" It may not have been left there for me, but it worked to get me moving again. Thanks kids.
I was still slowing, I tried to push it, but there seemed to be nothing left in me.
I was in so much pain and I was really starting to hate the race. I couldn't see anyone in front of nor behind me. I was very alone. At mile 24 I decided to walk, it couldn't be good to hate the race this much. I had to stop thinking about the pain and the loneliness. I focused on the finish line. I had only to run into the stadium, through the flags and I was done, they had ice, in fact the stadium was cooler than the surrounding areas. The grass was lush and green, and I laid down in it, letting all the pain melt out of me. It was at this point in the dream that I realized I was leaving the course. I was veering towards a grass yard, fully prepared to lay down and rest. "WHOA!!" I yelled aloud, "no more fantasizing!"
So I walked alone. And I was lonely.
I wanted my mom to finish the race and run back to walk with me. I wanted to ask someone at the water station to walk with me. I was ashamed to ask. A little boy handed me sports drink and water, and suggested I "Finish strong" I informed him that I was just trying to finish at this point.
And I walked on, alone.
I saw the chalk on the street again. This time the kids wanted me (or perhaps their father still) to "Dig deep." And I thought about it. I thought it was taking everything I had to put one foot in front of the other. I didn't think I could dig deeper. But I was so close to the finish now, And I was in so much pain. How could I possibly hurt more than I already did. Perhaps I could dig deeper. Slowly I picked up the pace until I was running again. I found I had no desire to slow down or walk any more. and I ran the last mile of the race.
Once the high school was in view I practiced smiling again. It took a few tries but I managed to wipe the grimace off my face before I entered the stadium. I plastered a very convincing smile on my face for the few remaining spectators. And it was just like the fantasy, through the flags, cold bottle of water, plenty of ice, lush grass... the only difference is that it was no cooler in the stadium...and I was wearing a tiara. My mothers boyfriend gave me the tiara and the wand, celebrating my graduation from princes to queen (there are photos that prove I didn't hallucinate this).
Speaking of photos, I should explain what is happening in them. Mom and I did this marathon for the first time in 1983, I was 8 months old at the time, and didn't actually run it, I just hopped in the finisher photo. Mom wanted to recreate that picture 26 years later, that is why she is holding me.
Also, Assuming I live through the coming weekend I will qualify as a maniac myself. I was just invited to run in Ohio at the USAF marathon this weekend. Two in a week is all you need to get your foot in the door.
I am not in the mood to edit this now. I hope it is legible.





1 comment:

bookofsecret7 said...

Congratulations Mo!!! It is always worth every ounce of pain along the way. Only 1-12 people will ever do a marathon in their life! I dont mean to sound like an old man or dad, but I am proud of you!!! Maybe one of these days I'll see you in one of those races!!