Monday, February 15, 2010

Death Valley

Sometimes a marathon is just a long, hard slog.
To quote my favorite author, Kurt Vonnegut, “So it goes.”

I am currently celebrating this unfortunate run with a sleepless night. A common post-race occurrence, the sleepless night is…well I was going to say it is my least favorite part of marathons, but then I got started thinking about all the things I don’t like about them…best get off that train of thought now.

The Death Valley marathon sounds intimidating for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it takes place in Death Valley, the hottest, driest place in North America which boasts an average rainfall of two inches, and some years it doesn’t rain at all. Second, the course itself, “The trail marathon starts at 3460 feet of elevation. It climbs to 4900 feet over the first nine miles then descends 500 feet before climbing to the highest point on the course at 5250 feet of elevation. The last 14 miles are DOWNHILL to the finish line at 250 feet”. Elevation, not something my body can handle right now. My hip is getting better, as long as I don’t run up hills (I died a little inside).
And again, Furnace Creek, DEATH VALLEY, average daily highs of 90 degrees and average lows of 60, with a record high of 134 degrees.
Imagine my surprise when I get the email that the course has changed due to rain, snow and ice. As it happens, this is not unusual for this marathon, last year, all two inches of annual rainfall fell during the marathon, resulting in flash flooding, and extensive road closures. The race director informed us that the race will be held in December from now on, when the weather is drier.
The revised course descends 100 ft over the first mile or two and is relatively flat for the rest of the race. 13.1 miles down the road, we turn back for the return trip. The trail is a dirt road with more dirt, sand and salt to either side, eventually giving way to colorful foot hills and then snow capped mountains. It sounds a bit dull, and to be honest it was. There is no denying the fact that the area is beautiful. Looking across the salt flats you think you could be on the ocean, the way it seems to stretch on forever. Beyond that the mountains are very colorful, earning the name “artists palate.”
I tried to add more to this report, but there is really little more to say. I had a tough run. My body managed it fine at my new slower pace (flat course, ideal temps, 5.5 hours). I hate to say it was a disappointment, because it was really good to prove to myself that even injured and out of shape I can still run 26.2 miles, but I did hope it would be more fun…Some people never learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You neglect to say I slowed you down as I battled with my own injury. Your time would have been better on your own, but I appreciated your altruism.