Friday, November 14, 2008

In the beginning

I started running two months ago.

I have been working at Curves for almost two years now, I think this really helped me get started. I was out of shape and chubby two years ago, not so any more. I also don't have a car, so I walk everywhere.

The real start happened the day after the Cle Elum 50k. I volunteered at the event thinking my mother had also signed up to help out, found out the day before that she was running it (14 years in a row). Watching her eat the day before the race I realized that this just might be the sport for me, I do love eating.

The race site was lovely, the runners were friendly, and every one of them seemed so happy when they finished. They were thanking the race directors and volunteers, then heading for the buffet. I do love eating with friendly people.

The next day I got all dressed up in my running gear and took off. I live near Lincoln Park in West Seattle, so that is where i decided to run. I managed about 3 miles, I walked when I had to. All in all, I felt good.

After running alone for the first week, I emailed one of the other volunteers from the Cle Elum race who was happy to sign on as my trainer. Together we ran a few short runs, then signed up for a 5K...two weeks into running I beat my goal time coming in under 31 minutes. A month later I ran a 10 K in less than an hour. Now I am training for the Seattle half marathon, I think I am well on my way. Yesterday I ran 10 miles on the Burke-Gilman trail and it felt great.

Eager for my next run
mo

No comments: