Sunday, July 12, 2009

Slow

I have been slowly working on a 4th of July post...I am just gonna breeze over that then move on.
The weekend of the 4th was great. There is a new trail system in the woods around my mothers house and we finally had a chance to run them together. I love trail running for so many reasons. One of them is the way the uneven terrain feels on my feet and ankles. I love the way my body can respond so quickly to the rapidly changing terrain. These trails are used by a lot of mountain bikers, so there were some jumps and ramps built out of downed trees that I really enjoyed running on. We covered 7 miles each day. We finished the runs the same way, standing waist deep in the lake.
On a side note, my 57 year old mother decided to start doing triathlons. She can run, bike and swim, so why not?

I am not a fan of the taste of the rubber they use to make bladders and water bottles. I run with nuun in my bottles to mask the flavor, and I think with time it may have faded some. on Friday I used a new bladder and even with nuun the yucky flavor of the rubber came through after the first hour or so. In spite of the heat I couldn't make myself drink because the taste just makes me nauseous. I even threw up. managed to make it home first so it doesn't count as my virginal 'puke while running'. I decided that the best way to tackle this problem to fill the bag and let it sit for a day, then empty it, fill it again, and so on. Encourage all the nasties to leach out of it before the next run. I will have to use this thing in Peru...
Speaking of Peru, I leave on August 7th. Here is the link to the site and the itinerary... little frightened. My plan is to focus on the after race buffet. For a good time take a look at the finisher times from previous years. Yowzaa...this could hurt.

I had an extreme migraine by the time I made it home on Sunday evening so I was unable to prepare my food for the week. The bread takes about two hours from start to finish and the wheat gluten protein takes an hour. Both of these items are significant sources of protein in my diet, and I really noticed the difference in my energy for the week without them. Moral of the story, food is important. I need to really focus on taking my supplements and eating all the right things for the next month.

5 comments:

sumo said...

migraines are the bane of many a runner's existence! i just ran the PowderFace Half on saturday. took me forever mostly due to my awesome training: 6 mile weeks; longest run 8 miles the monday before the race; and ran the whole thing with a headahce - not quite a migraine until after, thank god! anyway...just wanted to sympathize with ya...migraines suck.

mo said...

Thanks for leaving a comment!
I take Imitrex for migraines, but some days I think I can tough it out or it will go away with more sleep... I am always wrong.
I hope you are able to get more miles a week before your next race.

bookofsecret7 said...

Try asking for a sample of Midrin for the extreme migraines, its a mild sedative/vaso constrictor, it works great for me. Good luck in peru!

johanna gunn said...

Mo - I have had problems with bad tasting water bladders too... Platypus makes a bladder with no taste - promise. Give it a try. :-)
Jo

mo said...

Does Midrin require a Prescription? I am satisfied with Imitrix, I know a lot of people are more sick on it, but I think it is a miracle.
Platypus it is! My dad recomended putting baking soda in the soaking water to get the taste out...I will try that too.
Thanks for the headsup guys!