Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My first 50k

I did it!
And enjoyed myself. The people hosting the race were just wonderful. They had aid stations every 2.5 to 3 miles fully stocked with Cytomax (my favorite), cool water, cliff shot blocks, peanut m&ms, mike and ikes, pretzels and Hostes snack cakes. Twinkies and snack cakes don't appeal to me under any circumstances but I was pleased to have the m&ms and the shot blocks.
I was able to confirm my suspicions that I was coming into this terribly unprepared right from the start. While the trails were flat compared to Washington trails, there were lots of small, steep ups and downs. So I did what I do and started really slow, the benefit of which was clear as I started passing half marathoners around mile 8 (one of them called me ma'am!!!).
The course was set up as a 13.1 mile loop and a five (ish) mile loop at the end. It was difficult to approach the end of the first loop and know that I would have to start it all again. I found some lost joggers on the way into the woods for the second lap, they decided to stay with me for a bit and it was nice to have some conversation to help eat up the miles. They had been in front of me for 13 miles, until I found them, so I figured they were 'resting' while they let me take the lead, but by mile 20 the last of them fell behind.
For the first time during a race, I took some Ibuprofen. (I really have no idea at what point I took it, in fact all of my memories from this race are very foggy. It was 80 degrees that day, way too hot for me. I think this is part of the reason for the brain fog) But back to the Ibuprofen, about an hour after I took it I started thinking that it wasn't working since I was still in pain. In reality I think it helped immensely (a certain amount of pain is to be expected in this sort of event).
As per usual I was struggling with my brain during miles 18-22. The most motivating thought is "If I walk, it will only take me longer to finish" That is all it takes to keep me running. As soon as the struggle was won, I started picking up the pace a bit. And I danced. The first dance was when I thought I had run further than I had ever run before, and the second dance was when I had in fact run farther than ever before...I suppose I could have danced every mile to the finish, but that would be ridiculous, and I am a very sober person(riiiiight). I continued dropping a bit of time off each mile until the last stretch of the race. The friend I was running with decided he didn't want to let me win, so we had an all out sprint to the finish. I think the few remaining spectators appreciated it. I didn't. I did however finish before him, although I don't know how fair it was, I stumbled in front of him so he couldn't pass me as we crossed the finish. And while I would like to admit to you all that this was some great strategy on my part, it was only luck. Also, he could have left me behind right from the start if he wanted, so I take this victory with a grain of salt.
Our wonderful hosts served pasta at the finish line. they managed to keep it good for the 7 hour spread between the first and last finisher. I drank water and chatted for a few minutes then helped myself to an enormous helping of spaghetti. I am reminded of a quote by the curves nutritionist, "If there is enough pasta for you to jump in and swim around, your serving is too large." Fortunately she is only addressing weight loss, not distance running. I talked and walked around for another 15 minutes then went rushing back for an even larger helping of spaghetti. After the second platter I no longer felt hungry, although I was a far cry from full. I love eating monstrous amounts of food...this is why I started running.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Mo,
It was great to meet you and MM 1776. That was my first off-road race and I loved it, though, also felt unprepared.
Rachel and I are planning a 50K in Laurel, MS in March.
My ultimate long-term goal in 2010 is the JFK 50.
I think the sign up date is in July and it fills up fast.
Ask 1776 about it and maybe we can all run it together. By then I should be a MM also!
Elizabeth Goodwin

bookofsecret7 said...

Congratulations!!! As you can see us southerners are very friendly and respectiful!! Its funny how seattle folks find us wierd cause we are social and huggers...:D