Thursday, November 12, 2009

October

Well it has been a rough month or so. My grandmother passed away on Halloween after being bed ridden for a month. Circumstances were about as good as they get. She was able to stay at home with my mother taking care of her. All of the family was able to spend time with her. And she was in very little pain until the end. That being said, it was still a very difficult time. I found myself tired and unable to motivate myself.
As I said in my last post, I found a friend to run with and that has been very helpful. I managed 40 miles that week, most of which was on trails. The following week I did very little and this week is shaping up to be an effective tapering week.
I am currently in Louisiana. I will be running my first 50k this Saturday. I feel like I could have trained better but sometimes I think we just have to go on faith. I know my body can handle the distance, I felt great on my long runs the other week. I have been good about doing my physical therapy and my strength training. So while I may not set any PR or course records I am confident that I can finish.
There are a few things I am pleased about... this is a fairly small event, they stock their aid stations with Cytomax (my favorite), and very few women compete in the ultra distance. In fact, last year it seems that no women competed. I might win by default...and I am ok with that.
I will make a better effort to run and blog regularly.
And I will have a race report up soon after the race this weekend.
Thanks for hanging in with me.
Mo

2 comments:

Pricey said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma.
Good luck this weekend, enjoy the ultra experience, I loook forward to hearing how it all goes down :)

Anonymous said...

I am sure you will do well -- a new personal record for a 50K and even an age group medal!